Oh, America how I miss thee. I miss your Christmas decorations that come way too early, your change of seasons, and your mountains of canned pumpkin puree. That last part is really pulling on my heart strings. I live in Dubai, and canned pumpkin does not come easily. At home I usually can grab some year round and go pumpkin crazy. In Dubai, not so much.
But you know what? It’s taught me that not everything in a can is better. Since I couldn’t find the canned stuff to save my life, I bought a big ‘ole pumpkin and roasted him the old fashioned way. It was shockingly easy, and the puree tasted more pumpkin-y. I don’t think I will ever go back now! So in celebration of conquering my fear of homemade pumpkin puree, I gave my most favorite dessert a makeover and came up with these Pumpkin Spice Oreo Magic Cookie Bars. I used crushed Oreos instead of graham crackers for the base, and blended some pumpkin puree and spices into the sweetened condensed milk. It created a subtle pumpkin flavor that’s not overpowering.
- 20 Oreo cookies
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease or line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil.
- In a food processor, blend the oreo cookies into a fine crumbs. Mix the oreo crumbs with the melted butter and press into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, pumpkin puree, and spices until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin condensed milk over the oreo crust.
- Sprinkle with nuts and coconut and lastly chocolate chips.
- Push toppings gently down with a fork.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Allow to completely cool before slicing.