Say what you want about Starbucks and their “stale” coffee. Yes, I’m talking to coffee snobs everywhere! You have to admit they know the way to every white girl’s heart during Fall. I’m more of a classic Mocha girl myself, but I love the first sight of their magical chalkboard sign exclaiming, “The Pumpkin Spice Latte is here!” It lets me know that Fall has officially arrived. I’ve taken one of my favorite Starbucks drinks and made them into brownies!
I’ve only made a few pumpkin desserts so far but I’ve got so many more planned for this season. It’s safe to say, I’m in love with pumpkin. First came my Pecan Pie Pumpkin Cupcakes and then these crazy delicious guys. These Pumpkin Spice Latte Brownies were incredibly easy. How? I used my favorite boxed brownie mix.
Eeeek! Yes, you can make brownie mix taste like it’s from scratch. I promise.
The first round didn’t work out like planned. My initial vision was to have the mocha brownies topped with a thick layer of white chocolate that was pumpkin spiced. I always have a difficult time working with white chocolate but I thought I would give it a shot. It can be really fickle when trying to melt to the right consistency. If you over heat it in the slightest, it’s done. It just wasn’t working right and I couldn’t quit get that pumpkin flavor I wanted in the white chocolate, so I tossed it.
I was pretty sad. I get like that about sweets.
So then I found this amazing looking Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting on Wine and Glue. Super yummy, so I just piped some pretty ruffles on top of the mocha brownies. The flavor of mocha from the brownies and the way the pumpkin buttercream melts into the chocolate…This was a match made in heaven.
- 1 box of your favorite brownie box mix (I always use Ghiradelli Double Chocolate)
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs instant espresso powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Tbs room temperature butter
- ½ cup 100% pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease an 8x8 pan.
- Put brownie mix into large bowl and whisk with espresso powder.
- Add water, oil, vanilla extract, and egg. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 40-5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool once finished.
- With your electric mixer, beat butter until fluffy.
- Beat in pumpkin for 2-3 minutes until fully combined.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and beat some more.
- Add sugar one cup at a time until you get the right consistency.
- Cut brownies into even squares and pipe the pumpkin buttercream on top.
- Drizzle with caramel.
Check these pumpkin goodies out!