You know what I love about muffins? Muffins are extra large cupcakes that can be eaten for breakfast. AND they come with no judgement. If its eaten between the hours of 6 and 11 in the morning, extra large, and void of frosting…no one cares. No one gives dirty looks. It’s breakfast. Chocolate chips and all. I once saw a red velvet smore’s muffin at a local coffee shop. That my friends is my kind of breakfast. #breakfastgoals
These muffins bake up super fluffy and soft with just the right amount of crunch from the Oreos. Not to mention, they are insanely easy and quick to make, so don’t you worry. You’ll be stuffing your face in no time. It’s okay though. It’s breakfast remember? First meal of the day, so make it count!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups full fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 10 ounces dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 10 crushed Oreos and more for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375 F and grease or line your muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and sugar until pale and thick.
- Beat in the oil until incorporated and next beat in the yogurt and vanilla until fully combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. Try not to over mix the batter. Be gentle!
- Fold in crushed oreos and chocolate chunks.
- Fill each muffin cup evenly and top with more crushed Oreo cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes then drop the heat down to 350 F and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
These were slightly adapted from Bright Eyed Baker.